wood purchase in kerala

keerthi2006

wood purchase in kerala

Post by keerthi2006 »

All,

I have started my house construction and everyone suggested me to get the wooden tree in kerala.

Any idea which wooden tree in kerala will be good for the house.

Thanks,
keerthi k
jackalbda

Re: wood purchase in kerala

Post by jackalbda »

Some popular woods used in Kerala , as I know, are listed below.

1. Teak ( Particularly from Nilamboor place is considered as the best ).
2. Anjili ( Hebbalasu in Kannada) wood.
3. Plavu ( Jackfruit tree wood )

In some places , folks use Veeti ( Rose Wood ) and Mahogany also.
keerthi2006

Post by keerthi2006 »

thanks for the valuable information jackalbda.

One of my friend suggested EETI WOOD to buy it.

Can you tell me whether it is good. Also let me know which is the best wood to buy in kerala.

I am planning to visit kerala next week.
jackalbda

Post by jackalbda »

Yes , EETI is same as Veeti , pronounced differently, thats all. Its Rose wood and quite an expensive one.
keerthi2006

Post by keerthi2006 »

thanks jackaldba.

I am planning to go for rose wood.

do you have any idea which is good more than rose wood ?
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

Yes there are lot of species better and harder than than Rosewood. Rosewood after years looks like polished charcoal , unless u like ebony. it does not have attractive grains.
how will you transport wood especially rosewood across borders b/n checkposts, unless you have clearance from forest departments. Rose wood comes under endangered species, the timber depots require special licence for rosewood processing. forest departments issue permits,that needs to be arranged by licensed vendor. This applies for any timber .
Forest department check posts in Karnataka can seize any wood (except casaurina and coconut) even if you have tax bill . U need to have forest department documents , with illegality checks.
Do not buy from unlicensed suppliers, there are plenty of people involved in illegal trade of timber,
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

This is how u legally purchase wood (teak or rosewood or jackfruit ) outside bangalore \ forest checkpost limts for personal use in building construction.
1) Identify a licensed timber depot \ saw mill , who has got rosewood license . ( Rosewood conservation act) . This applies for any timber including teak(Rosewood is special), the timber depot \ saw mill gets timber via import or local forest auction.
2) After the sawing as per your requirements, get the tax bill with proper cft . (tax is evaded both on qty and cost) , do not compromise on qty.Preferably sawn sizes should be listed in detail.
3) The timber vendor , applies to forest department for transit pass as per the Karnataka or kerala timber transit act. in few days , the forest officer arrives to depot inspects the legality of the source and issues the permit.
4) At forest checkposts u need to furnish the bill and permit ,if you don't have the latter , ur goods will be seized and case will be booked .the owner will now be charge sheeted.
5) lets assume , u smuggle successfully without permit into Bangalore , and when u take wood for processing ie thattu \ planing etc , The forest department officials will get to know that rosewood is being processed at the planing shop via informants. they can come to your building and seize and arrest for possessing timber without permit even if you have bill.
(forest officials will ensure that the purchaser and vendor undergo the " great indian process" ).
Carpenters illegally fell trees or cut trees in their fields , and saw it in illegal depots , and try to hook it to owners with lure of low cost. Even if you own a tree in your own plot , you cannot sell it to anyone other than ur own use unless u involve forest department.
keerthi2006

Post by keerthi2006 »

can anyone tell me which wood i can go for house.

Teak wood or Rose Wood -> which one is best among both for house.
Nivas

Post by Nivas »

given the choice of teak or rosewood ,i prefer teak.
it is more of a personal preference.
rosewood finishes to deep purple, over years of oxidation appears black. the grains in rose wood are not prominant. cost wise good burma teak and rosewood are similar. density is higher in rosewood leading to additional machining costs and labour.
keerthi2006

Post by keerthi2006 »

hi all,
I bought nilambur teak in kerala.

I am planning to get eeti rose wood for putting main door in my home.

will etti good for main door.

Return to “Civil Construction”