Review - Floor plan for 1st Floor

shri

Review - Floor plan for 1st Floor

Post by shri »

Hi,

I have a 60x40 site and a house on the ground floor. I am planning to construct a 1st Floor and am thinking of the below plan.

One idea is to drop construction of the 2nd Floor and the internal staircase for the 2nd Floor. Let me know what you think of this.

Pillars need to constructed to support the balcony according to the contractor. He told me i could also extend a Bedroom and Hall by another 4 feet
where the balcony is proposed.

Can anyone please provide me some feedback on this plan. Please let me know of any suggestions in this regard.
Attachments
FloorPlans.pdf
(59.49 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
shri

Re: Review - Floor plan for 1st Floor

Post by shri »

Hello Friends,

Any advice on the above plan is highly appreciated. I would need your valuable suggestion.

Thanks for your help and time.
kaukix

Post by kaukix »

Hi shri, what are your requirements for the first floor home, could you please elaborate.

The door opening (north side, First Floor) to balcony is a bit confusing to me.. so is the office room.
Are you looking for 2 bed plus study, or 3 bed with 1 used as office for time being?

Is the second floor for rental purpose or self use? The internal stair does not lead directly into the second floor structure and there is an external stair too. Why is the internal stair included in the design?

Sorry to ask more questions than answers :-).
shri

Post by shri »

Hi Kaukix,

Thanks for your response. The area is 1315. I thought that if i have 3 BHK - It would mean 2 small rooms 10x10 rooms. Hence i thought it is better to go for
a 2BHK + study.

Yes, The room at the front is an Office room. However, i can change that if it makes sense to use that space efficiently.

The Door on the 1st Floor is opening to the East. ABout the second Floor, I was thinking of not constructing it for the time being & i have decided to scrap
the internal staircase as well.

So, there will be only external staircase only to access 2nd Floor. This is for own use.

Let me know if this makes sense.
shri

Post by shri »

Hi Kaukix,

I got confused. The door for the balcony (North Side) is to access the balcony. Otherwise, A person has to come all the way to the front door to access the balcony.
The Front Door is facing east.

Thanks
kaukix

Post by kaukix »

Dear Shri,

The attached toilets are too small. 4ft is a narrow space. Also, as you are having 2 bedrooms, 3 toilets are overkill.

Have added my thoughts to the plan in attachment. Hopefully it helps.
As the bathrooms in the modified plan are large, they can be used for keeping washing machine.

Another idea is to have the main entrance from the North.
As your area is effectively 52 ft *28 ft, it is a rectangular plot. Having the entrance from North and rearranging the rooms to the left and right, might split the space up more evenly.

Regards,
Attachments
shri_plan_First_floor.pdf
First Floor Plan Modified
(223.29 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
shri

Post by shri »

Thanks,

1) Mine is a 62x40 Plot. We have a house on the ground floor already. I was told that The walls surrounding the bedroom and halls, kitchen are load bearing walls.
2) I thought of exending the Bedroom which is there in the North West Corner instead of balcony there with the help of pillars. I will get addtional 4 feet.

Let me know what you think. I am confused if i need to go for Open Kitchen or Kitchen seperately.

Thanks for your help.
kaukix

Post by kaukix »

Shri,
Was not aware that that the layout could not be modified. If that's the case, then personally, i would go for extension of the NW bedroom by 4 feet. It gives you one large bedroom. Just make sure that light and ventilation are not compromised by this extension.

When you incorporate open plan kitchen some advantages are:
The spaces flow into each other and are not divided by walls, so the space looks larger. General light and ventilation in the house improves because of flowing spaces.Interactions between people in the house is easier. We tend to spend most of the time in Kitchen-Dining or Living (Communal Areas). For e.g. if you want to keep an eye on the kids when cooking, open plan is better.

On the other hand, cooking sounds and smells are not isolated. In a small space, a traditional kitchen tends to feels closed in. Also, some amount of privacy is lost. With nuclear families and small building spaces open plan kitchens are becoming popular. Either design is a compromise, You have to decide which suits you the best.

Regards

Return to “Civil Construction”