Shortage of TamilNadu Sand

venkyn

Re: Shortage of TamilNadu Sand

Post by venkyn »

If you are near to magadi road/nice road junction do look out for Harihara sand. Most of the big truck carrying sand 10-12wheeler are present.
The quote starts with 0.8 to 1.2L for a load. I could not see anybody buying this for two days and finally it .

But look some so called Harihara sand had small shells so, wondering if it is sea sand mixed >? not sure if shells are see in reiver?
t
So, finalky went wit 80K 10Wheeler for urgetn load the load was 700cft. so, extra amount that i payed was less.

=Venkyu
zipperboy

Post by zipperboy »

Even my work is halted, doing the third floor now, luckily had purchased sand ( 6 wheeler) just prior to the strike, but now that also has been used up( for plastering below floors). still no clue if we will get tirchy sand in karnataka.
Went to hebbal today morning to check out if tirchy is available, and 10 wheelers is available for 1.2 lakhs and 6 wheelers for 80k.

i just smiled at them and came back.there was no scope of bargaining also. Also some sand was available from sira , but they were quoting 30 k for 6 wheeler and it was little muddy.

An apartment builer close to my site is using slag sand for all concrete work ,he never used river sand , and now his 3 floors are done. The concrete has coem out well and also we checked the strength( by hitting with hammer :-) ) and it was quite strong.

Since its my last floor i think i will go with slag sand now, though my civil guy is not recommending it ( i blame it on his knowldge about this sand, did some online research and it has good reviews) and also i can see it from the builders project that it has come out good.

Tomorrow will contact builder for slag sand number, i find it better not to spend double amount for sand when you have an alternative, that also good.
Seems like 6 wheeler comes roughly for 30k, but they sell in tonnes.
Vishnu2014

Post by Vishnu2014 »

All, When is the Trichy sand strike expected to get over. How long will it take for the price to normalize and come back to the previous levels ( ~30K/5 unit)??

Thx,
Vishnu
zipperboy

Post by zipperboy »

Information from truck drivers on 28 feb is that it will take 2 more weeks, they were saying the same around 14 feb that by end of feb the border issue will get over.
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Did the 3floor rooing.

Looks Like the problem is not going to end? and this could be the end of river sand because some political persons have setup industries for manufacturing sand so, to promote that
we may end up loosing it completely. It is prompting me to look for better solution but may not agree with slag sand esp becaue of materials used in manufacturig. I may go with
msand.

-venky
girishd

Post by girishd »

Venky,

For first two roofs we got Kollegala sand and that stopped back in August or so. My contractor says that supply has not resumed at all after that. Seems like Karnataka Govt doesn't want to do anything here

In fact Kollegala sand is better than Trichy sand for concrete work due to its roughness/granularity. Trichy sand is more useful for plastering due to its fineness. Right now we have nothing and what is disgusting is that there is no clarity on how/when it would get resolved.
krishnakumar

Post by krishnakumar »

My worry is if it was a strike or protest someone somewhere would be negotiating on some demands etc. In this case not sure what is causing the problem and if anyone is even trying to fix this. :(
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Girish, kollegal sand is banned for a long time, so what ever that is coming costs a lot.

Related stories

Tamilanadu Lorry owners and Second saLes ban, the real reason why we don't receive sand.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/t ... 939321.ece

Mysore Sand issue
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/k ... 950458.ece

Padayatra for Sand... :)
https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&u ... tfBdP3Pnkw
Elhani

Post by Elhani »

@venkyn
thanks! atleast some relief to know they are people who are doing padyatra for this cause!
WBR
elhani
krishnakumar

Post by krishnakumar »

My final floor roof is pending from few days. Is it worth going for rmc or should I wait few more days. Any problems with RMC ?

Return to “Civil Construction”