My Building construction Expereince with a Labour contract.

venkyn

Re: My Building construction Expereince with a Labour contra

Post by venkyn »

Hi Girish,

Shiva Borewell, NagarBhavi. 9845265316 and also check with Matha Borewells. www.mathaborewells.in.
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Finally Foundation PCC, sump, SCM got over last week, the most difficult part of the construction is this I think. Last week due to heavy cyclone, we have to pump lot of water from the plot and had a tough time dealing with water, which caused delay. And apart from that the compound behind the plot is poorly constructed by bangalore university. So we had to support that structure from coming down.

During footing Concrete the material consumption increases when the foundation pit is in irregular size so, during foundation digging it has to be dug as per the structural diagram. Or ensure that it is in correct size by putting size stone support. Another one thing I noticed is that the concrete gang who pour concrete were not don't follow structural diagram concrete requirement. We need to behind them.

Some snaps
Attachments
BDA004.jpg
BDA005.jpg
BDA002.jpg
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Few More snaps.
Attachments
BDA001.jpg
BDA009.jpg
BDA008.jpg
girishd

Post by girishd »

venkyn wrote:Finally Foundation PCC, sump, SCM got over last week, the most difficult part of the construction is this I think. Last week due to heavy cyclone, we have to pump lot of water from the plot and had a tough time dealing with water, which caused delay. And apart from that the compound behind the plot is poorly constructed by bangalore university. So we had to support that structure from coming down.

During footing Concrete the material consumption increases when the foundation pit is in irregular size so, during foundation digging it has to be dug as per the structural diagram. Or ensure that it is in correct size by putting size stone support. Another one thing I noticed is that the concrete gang who pour concrete were not don't follow structural diagram concrete requirement. We need to behind them.

Some snaps
#Venkyn,

Definitely getting the footing/foundation/plinth is a major step.

If you felt that JCB work was not upto the mark, you could have used centering boards to restrict the footing concrete to correct size. For raising column, you need to make sure that the plumbline is maintained. Otherwise you may have to cover more in plastering and with 3 or more inch difference from footing to top floor there can be long term structural issues.

BTW, where exactly is your site in Bangalore?
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Girish,

The JCB role was confined because we got hard rock in some places, the compressor guys told me that the rock was of Granite quality, so, it was very difficult for them to get perfection.
Yea, contractor did not inform me earlier about material consumption due to irregular shape, structural engineer told me about that and we could fix some foundation pits never the less Lesson
learnt.

I am based in GnanaBharthi I block Mariyappana Palya [ Near Ullala].

Regards,
Venky
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Hi Girish,
Can you share more details on the plumb line, the plumb lines has to go beneath the plinth beam, how will the plumber do it. I think this is what you were concerned for structural issue. So, finally i have left 3feet which will be used for plumb line.

One more thing, Rainwater harvest setup during the foundation is more feasible then doing it later stage , how was it done at your place.

Regards,
Venky
girishd

Post by girishd »

@venkyn,

Response to your queries:
1. Plumbline is the vertical line that has to be 90 and all vertical structures need to be aligned as much as possible to it.
http://kzlam36.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... e-wall.jpg
2. RWH pit is not done yet in our site. I have 14' of space left in front side. So decided to do it later. Its better to get the RWH pit also done when doing excavation for footings. At the same JCB cost one more piece work will get done.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Venky
1.You building footings looks not even 3' deep from the existing soil level .Did you check with structural engineer ?
2.Keeping the footing is such shapes will actual consume 30 to 40% more concrete .
3.I didnt see any lockers used in the steel - lockers are recommended when ever footings are rested on stone surfaces to avoid movements in case of earth quakes or soil settlements .
4.Since you are going with labor contract ,you should insist them to keep the site clean
5.Making sure every thing in the site in a clean geometric shapes is a way to maintain workmanship :) columns straight line, footings rectangular cubes ,path ways straight lines ,size stone masonry in clean cubes
6.Labor contractor will never tell you what to do to save material , he just cut the corner in case of footings by leaving the pits in such a odd shape
7.Dont use boulders and granite rocks came out of footing to fill in the plinth ,it will never settle properly .You should use clean soil .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
ramki067

Post by ramki067 »

ardesarchitects wrote:Hi Venky
1.You building footings looks not even 3' deep from the existing soil level .Did you check with structural engineer ?
2.Keeping the footing is such shapes will actual consume 30 to 40% more concrete .
3.I didnt see any lockers used in the steel - lockers are recommended when ever footings are rested on stone surfaces to avoid movements in case of earth quakes or soil settlements .
4.Since you are going with labor contract ,you should insist them to keep the site clean
5.Making sure every thing in the site in a clean geometric shapes is a way to maintain workmanship :) columns straight line, footings rectangular cubes ,path ways straight lines ,size stone masonry in clean cubes
6.Labor contractor will never tell you what to do to save material , he just cut the corner in case of footings by leaving the pits in such a odd shape
7.Dont use boulders and granite rocks came out of footing to fill in the plinth ,it will never settle properly .You should use clean soil .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
Hi Praveen,
Could you explain what these lockers in footing are?

Ramki
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Ramki
Chemical lockers are used to anchor steel rods in to the hard surface.We use these lockers on the rocky sites since the stone excavation wont be flat ,you cannot keep the steel mat to plumb line.In case of earth quakes or soil settlements there are always horizontal movements .

Its not must for lock sets in every footing ,case to case you need to decide .

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects

Return to “Civil Construction”