Mathi and Ghana timber

npattipati

Mathi and Ghana timber

Post by npattipati »

Hi

I am exploring different timber options for my home; we have a requirement of about 175 cft.

I am thinking of going for Burma / Dandeli teak for Main doors (2 nos), Pooja, Windows in Living and French window in Balcony.

For windows inside bed rooms, I am planning to use either use Ghana teak or Mathi.

Could someone advise if Mathi is good? Does it leave any strains like Honne? What are some pros and cons of using Mathi timber?

Or it is better to go for Ghana instead of Mathi?

And could you also suggest better budget options for window and door shutters?

Thank you,
npattipati
msananthu

Re: Mathi and Ghana timber

Post by msananthu »

Ghana Teak can be classified as 2nd/3rd grade teak wood. It's much softer lighter than Burma wood and has little grains. Normally builders use this wood in the building that they want to sell as ultra luxurious wherein they can use the word teak for making an extra buck. The price of this as of June 2014 was around 2500 - 2800/cft (if you get a better price go for it), but beware most of the logs are not aged and could be between 20-25 years and will have a white color to it, which shows they are not aged. However this can be easily covered with polish. If you want teak only this can be a good option at a lesser budget.

Matti ( Do you really get it these days ??) is a very hard wood and can be used for frames only. This does not take polish like teak and does not have any staining when exposed to natural elements as per my knowledge. I believe there are only a few saw mills who sell matti at around 2200-2500/cft

One more option is Neem. It has very high oil content and lasts really long. No problem with termites or borers but after a few years it might bend. This wood is around 500-750/cft.
girishd

Post by girishd »

Yes Mathi is hardwood and would work for frames. I think Mathi would cost less than 2000. I have bought all of my Teakwood from Shimoga. He has Mathi wood too. Can provide you contact if needed.
venkyn

Post by venkyn »

Hi Girish,

We are from shimoga, whats the process of getting wood from shimoga. Which Indian teak is good, Nilmbur, dandeli, Hunsur etc?

Regards,
venky
girishd

Post by girishd »

Venky,
The teak that I bought from Shimoga came for couple of forest depots around NR pura. Generally the wood dealers go to auctions at multiple places and store in saw mills. When you buy from them they will help cut it into section sizes and issue a permit with which the wood can be transported here.

My best advice is that its not worth the effort unless your wood requirement is large. I traveled 2 weekends to chikkamangalore and Shimoga and finally liked the wood at one place. Had to travel again and stay there for 3 days to get the logs cut into section sizes as per our window and door requirement. In the end, I might have saved 5-10% with all this effort but definitely happy with quality of wood.

Burma Teak is best for small quantities and if you want I can get my carpenter's contact at a Kanakpura road saw mill.

One more thing I would advise is to get the wood right at the stage when excavation is done. At least wood would get seasoned for couple of months before carpenter starts his work. The only risk here is that you should have a secure place to store it.
bmallu

Post by bmallu »

Girish, Can u give carpenters contact # and Kanakapur saw mill info... I am looking for small quantity.
kiran86

Post by kiran86 »

Girish, pls share contact details of teak you bought from shimoga. also carpenters contact no and Kanakapur saw mill.
my requirement is around 400 cft for g+3 floors.
girishshk

Post by girishshk »

Yes, Mathi is good for frames, its a really hard wood, Can be found in malnad areas depot.

In bangalore, the best option will be Neam for windows frames, since you cannot find good Mathi wood in bangalore.

Return to “Civil Construction”