Our House construction experience

mcneha

Re: Our House construction experience

Post by mcneha »

Hi Mr.Ravivasudeva!

Please never do civil works in a haste. The earth filling need to be executed layer by layer. You can fill up loose soil to a maximum extent of one foot depth, then you have to do proper consolidation either by watering or by mechanical means or by both. You need to repeat this proceduce atleast for 5 times, if your filling depth is 5'0". Since you had avoided size stone masonry below the external plinth beams, the soil pressure is transferred to the 6" thick compound walls. Though your plinth beams are at the top of filling, please bring this point to your structural engineer and be on safer side.

Good luck!

CHANDRASEKAR
Pooja

Post by Pooja »

Hi Ravi,
Nice elevation model.

my quick observation:

I don't see any windows on the right side of the building. Any reason?

The front extension for gardening : How will you change the plants and water often in the first and second floor.
The right side of the building railings Is it done by metal or cement?

I would prefer to have balcony to an master bedroom. I am not sure if you have one in the model.

Good luck
ravivasudeva

Post by ravivasudeva »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for liking the elevation, i think my architect did a decent job on Elevation with the budget i provided though there is scope for improvement, we will work on improving it in next few weeks.

Hi Pooja,
My architect and i have nicknamed that wall as "great wall" as it starts from ground and ends in terrace :-), and its designed in such a way that no window is required there. I will share more pics on elevation which will clarify.

For the plantation, architect proposed windows in the elevation which would not be noticeable; they can be opened for maintenance of plants. In the worst scenario if i stop maintaining the plants or don't plant them, i will buy artificial plants and place there :)

Staircase elevation is all proposed to be done with aluminium fabrications only.

I have 2 master bedrooms and both have balcony. Dining place has balcony with paragola and Study cum bedroom has "look through balcony" with paragola design. Kitchen has balcony which is for utility and have another balcony on the rear end too.
girishd

Post by girishd »

Ravi,

Pretty nice elevation.
Just wanted to point out that Aluminium fabricated may not be permanent. You can probably look into wirecut bricks placed one over the other for the sides of staircase - like the one in this pic https://www.flickr.com/photos/biome/420 ... 3049637056
Pooja

Post by Pooja »

HI Ravi,
curious to know about "great wall"
good to know the home has lots of balcony.

pooja
ravivasudeva

Post by ravivasudeva »

mcneha wrote:Hi Mr.Ravivasudeva!

Please never do civil works in a haste. The earth filling need to be executed layer by layer. You can fill up loose soil to a maximum extent of one foot depth, then you have to do proper consolidation either by watering or by mechanical means or by both. You need to repeat this proceduce atleast for 5 times, if your filling depth is 5'0". Since you had avoided size stone masonry below the external plinth beams, the soil pressure is transferred to the 6" thick compound walls. Though your plinth beams are at the top of filling, please bring this point to your structural engineer and be on safer side.

Good luck!

CHANDRASEKAR
Hi,
Its a great suggestion on earth filling, we didn't do it though. Since structural engineer is the one who asked us to avoid SSM, he is aware about the load issue. To mitigate this issue, the pillars of the compound will be connected to plinth on 3 sides of the house.
ravivasudeva

Post by ravivasudeva »

girishd wrote:Ravi,

Pretty nice elevation.
Just wanted to point out that Aluminium fabricated may not be permanent. You can probably look into wirecut bricks placed one over the other for the sides of staircase - like the one in this pic https://www.flickr.com/photos/biome/420 ... 3049637056
Hi Girish,
I second you, I am looking at alternatives too and using wire cut brings is a cool idea but need to check how it fits into overall look of the house. Do we get grey colour wire cut brings instead of Red?
girishd

Post by girishd »

Ravi,

The picture I posted was for SMB bricks.

Second alternative is vertically perforated bricks like the one used in our house http://www.mybdasites.com/download/file ... &mode=view
This requires very good mason to put them one over the other. I am planning to use a repeated pattern of 5" glass and a column of brick for the room that forms the elevation (First Floor).

Not sure if you can paint the wirecut bricks to match the overall theme. Check with your Architect
ravivasudeva

Post by ravivasudeva »

The house is entering into critical stage and rain is playing hide and seek adding to my worry. All said, we have fixed tomorrow morning for the Ground floor slab concrete work. I have instructed to start as early as 7:30 and complete by 1:30 to be safe from rain. Sharing some pictures from Steel work, your suggestions are welcomed. Maddur Hole Maralu, ACC concrete plus cement and 20 mm jelly all arriving today. Electric work would be finished today.

As per design, here is no sunken slab anywhere as we going for core cutting.
Slab
Slab
14.jpg (268.85 KiB) Viewed 7475 times
Slab beams
Slab beams
15.jpg (159.02 KiB) Viewed 7475 times
Slab where beams are intersecting
Slab where beams are intersecting
16.jpg (353.12 KiB) Viewed 7475 times
ravivasudeva

Post by ravivasudeva »